The Message Transfer Part (MTP) Level 3 (Broadband) software product, also known as MTP3-B, provides the functions and procedures to transfer SS7 signaling over a broadband network using ATM links.
The MTP3-B software is packaged as an option of the Message Transfer Part Level 3 software. MTP3-B supports the broadband functionality as per ITU-T, ANSI and Telcordia recommendations.
- Supports the Distributed Fault-Tolerant/High Availability (DFT/HA) environment, which allows creation of, and load distribution between, multiple active/standby software images of Trillium MTP3 software. DFT/HA creates higher availability and increased scalability by providing load sharing over multiple processors. DFT/HA supports the “Six Nines” (99.9999%) reliability requirements of carrier-grade networks.
- Supports the Fault-Tolerant High-Availability (FT/HA) environment, which provides active/standby processing. The active copy takes part in event processing and updates the standby with “healthy” state changes, thereby eliminating error propagation and increasing system reliability. FT/HA supports the stringent Six Nines reliability requirements of carrier-grade networks.
- Supports multiple originating point codes.
- Supports broadband capabilities, as illustrated below:
- Can act as a Signaling Point (SP) or Signaling Transfer Point (STP).
- Supports ITU and ANSI point code formats.
- A single instance of MTP3 can simultaneously support narrowband and broadband functionality and is thus suitable for gateway applications.
- Supports the message discrimination function by delivering the message to the distribution function or to the routing function, depending on the destination of the message.
- Supports the message distribution function by delivering the message to the appropriate user part or level 3 function based on the service indicator.
- Supports the message routing function by selecting an appropriate signaling link for the transmission of messages. Additionally, performs load-sharing between links and/or link sets.
- Supports signaling traffic management procedures including: changeover, changeback, forced rerouting, controlled rerouting, signaling point restart, management inhibiting and signaling traffic flow control.
- Supports signaling link management procedures including: signaling link activation, signaling link restoration, signaling link deactivation, link set activation (normal and emergency restart) and automatic allocation of signaling data links and signaling terminals.
- Supports signaling route management procedures including: transfer prohibited, transfer allowed, transfer controlled (international and national congestion priorities), signaling route set test and signaling route set congestion test.
- Supports the Rolling Upgrade feature for upgrading the MTP3 software on a live system without bringing operations down.
- Can handle either national or international signaling traffic.
- Supports national networks with or without multiple congestion priorities.
- Supports multiple congestion priorities and prevents deadlocks and overload conditions from occurring.
- Regulates data flow when the system’s resource utilization reaches configurable thresholds.
- Support extended changeover messages which support exchange of larger sequence numbers during changeover procedure of broadband links.
- Supports message sizes up to 4096 bytes.
- Conforms to Trillium Advanced Portability Architecture (TAPA)
- Benefits of licensing from Trillium
Trillium MTP3-B software can be integrated easily to work with other Trillium software, including:
- Distributed Fault-Tolerant/High-Availability (DFT/HA) Core
- Fault-Tolerant/High-Availability (FT/HA) Core
- LDF – MTP3
- PSF – MTP3 (FT/HA)
- AAL2 signaling
- MTP3 User Adaptation Layer (M3UA)
- and Multi-threaded System Services (MTSS) software products.
Trillium MTP3 software conforms to the following standards:
- ITU-T Q.2210 (1995) Recommendations
- Telcordia GR-246, T1.111.4, 1998
- ANSI T1.111.4 Specification, 1992 and 1996
Refer to the MTP3 Functional Specification for detailed implementation information.