M2PA (MTP2 User Peer-to-Peer Adaptation Layer) is a SIGTRAN protocol for transporting SS7 MTP Level 2 user part signaling messages (i.e. MTP Level 3) over IP using the Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP).
M2PA can be used between a signaling gateway and Media Gateway Controller , between a signaling gateway and IP signaling point and between two IP signaling points.
The M2PA software is portable C source code that can be compiled to run on any processor, under any operating system, and with any system architecture. The modular design and simple interfaces allow the M2PA software to be easily ported to any environment.
Trillium M2PA software enables telecom equipment manufacturers of soft switches, signaling gateways, signal transfer points, service control points, media gateway controllers or other products to:
- Accelerate time to market
- Reduce development costs
- Reduce project risk of internally developed M2PA applications
Product deliverables consist of C source software, documentation, training, a warranty and technical support.
- A management interface for configuration and control operations and status and statistics retrieval. It also provides protocol state and alarm information at the management interface.
- Extensive run-time error checking support.
- Extensive debugging support to ease system integration and testing.
- Support for function call traces and tracing of incoming and outgoing PDUs. Trace information is provided at the management interface and can be used to support the remote logging and analysis operation.
- Seamless communication of MTP2-user peers (for example, MTP3) between SS7 and IP domains
- Management of active associations
- SCTP stream management
- Maintaining the status of ASPs at the SGP, and vice versa
- Link management functionality between SS7 and IP domains
- Congestion control in the IP network
- NIF functionality at an SGP to map MTP2 primitives to M2PA and vice versa
- Heartbeat procedure between an SGP and an ASP
- Support override and load share traffic mode
- Conforms to Trillium Advanced Portability Architecture (TAPA)
- Benefits of licensing Trillium software from Radisys
Trillium M2PA software interworks with Trillium:
- Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)
- Message Transportation Protocol Layer 3 (MTP3)
Trillium M2PA supports the following standard:
- draft-ietf-sigtran-m2pa-13: SS7 MTP2 User Peer-to-Peer Adaptation Layer (M2PA)
For more a more detailed technical overview contact your Radisys Sales Director to receive the MTP2 User Peer-to-Peer Adaptation Layer (M2PA) Functional Specification.