The Radio Link Control and Medium Access Control (RLC/MAC) software is used in the GPRS (2.5G) wireless stack. It provides the acknowledged and the unacknowledged data transfer between the mobile station and the base station controller (BSC). In the data transmission plane, GPRS RLC/MAC provides unit data services to LLC in MS and to Relay in BSS.
Trillium GPRS RLC/MAC software enables telecom equipment manufacturers of soft switches, signaling gateways, signal transfer points, service control points, media gateway controllers or other products to:
- Accelerate time to market
- Reduce development costs
- Reduce project risk of internally developed GPRS RLC/MAC applications
Product deliverables consist of C source software, documentation, training, a warranty and technical support.
The modular design and simple interfaces allow the Trillium GPRS RLC/MAC software to be easily ported to any environment.
- Acknowledged and unacknowledged modes of operation
- Transfer of LLC SDUs between MS and BSS
- Segmentation and reassembly of LLC SDUs and GPRS RLC/MAC data blocks
- Backward error correction and selective retransmission of erroneous blocks
- Contention resolution for mobile access
- Control signal handling and sending of event indications to the upper layers using the defined primitive set
- Distribution of downlink traffic in MS to multiple instances of physical layer
- Receipt of traffic from multiple instances of physical layer
- Initiation of circuit switched paging procedure for an MS on PACCH associated with uplink
- Transmission of packet system information 13 on downlink
- Establishment and release of the TBF in uplink and downlink direction
- Support for EDGE enhancements for EGPRS
Trillium GPRS RLC/MAC software interworks with Trillium MTSS – Windows NT and MTSS – Solaris Software products.
Trillium GPRS RLC/MAC software conforms to:
- GSM TS 4.60, Radio Link Control/Medium Access Control Protocol Specification (Release 98)
Refer to the GPRS RLC/MAC Functional Specification for a detailed implementation.