The Radio Access Network Application Part (RANAP) software is used in the control plane of the Third Generation (3G) wireless stack. It is the control plane signaling protocol across the Iu interface between the UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network (UTRAN) and Core Network (CN).
Trillium RANAP software enables telecom equipment manufacturers of radio network controllers, Serving GPRS Support Nodes (SGSN), Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN), Femtocells, Femtocell Gateways, test equipment or other products to:
- Accelerate time to market
- Reduce development costs
- Reduce project risk of internally developed RANAP applications
Product deliverables consist of C source software, documentation, training, test framework, a warranty and technical support.
- Manages the Iu Connection Resource(s)
- Supports the Radio Network Controller (RNC) relocation service
- Transfers the NAS signaling information between the Radio Network Controller (RNC) and Core Network (CN)
- Reports the data volume, location and errors
- Controls UE activity tracing, overload and security mode
- Provides paging, Information Transfer, the common ID intimation to the RNC and comprehensive statistics of the messages flowing through RANAP
- Fully integrated with Trillium SCCP and Trillium lower transport layers MTP3b/SAAL
- Configuration to work either in the RNC or the CN.
- Iu-flex architecture.
- Both the CS and PS domains in a single instance, in case of a co-located Serving GPRS Support Node and Mobile Switching Center.
- Multiple types of signaling bearers—SCCP or SUA at the lower interface in a single instance. RANAP supports the same API for SCCP and SUA.
- Addressing, based on both the Global Title and Point Code SSN combinations.
- Trillium Distributed Fault-Tolerant/High-Availability (DFT/HA) architecture. RANAP itself is fault-tolerant only but can be used with Trillium DFT/HA SCCP.
- RANAP provides comprehensive statistics of the messages flowing through RANAP.
- RANAP also supports Trillium Fault-Tolerant/High-Availability (FT/HA) functionality with PSF – RANAP.
- Multimedia Broadcast / Multimedia Services (MBMS) – supports services that intend to broadcast or multicast multimedia from a single source to multiple users
- High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) – increases the downstream data rates and capacity
- High-Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) – increases the upstream data rates and capacity
- Additional Radio Access Bearers (RAB) – RABs for SIP signaling
- Packet Switched Streaming Services (PSSS) – this initially debuted in Release 5, but has matured in Release 6.
- Conforms to Trillium Advanced Portability Architecture (TAPA)
- Benefits of licensing Trillium software from Radisys
Trillium RANAP software can be used with Trillium SCCP and Trillium GMM-SM, products.
Trillium RANAP software conforms to:
- Trillium Advanced Portability Architecture (TAPA)
- Trillium Distributed Fault Tolerant / High Availability (DFT/HA) framework
- 3GPP TS 25.413, UTRAN Iu Interface RANAP Signaling v4.12.0, 4/2004 (Rel-4)
- 3GPP TS 25.413, UTRAN Iu Interface RANAP Signaling v5.12.0, 6/2005 (Rel-5)
- 3GPP TS 25.413, UTRAN Iu Interface RANAP Signaling v6.14.0, 6/2007 (Rel-6)
- 3GPP TS 25.413, UTRAN Iu Interface RANAP Signaling v7.6.0, 6/2007 (Rel-7)