The two important components of the UTRAN architecture are Node B and the Radio Network Controller. RNC supports multiple Node Bs and is responsible for controlling the use of the radio resources. Node B is responsible for radio transmission and reception in one or more cells.
Node B Application Part (NBAP) is the control plane signaling protocol of the radio network layer across the Iub interface. The Iub interface uses NBAP procedures that are responsible for:
- Maintaining the resources at Node B
- Maintaining the RNC
- Managing the communication between Node B and RNC
In addition, there are several procedures triggered by NBAP that are responsible for physically establishing and releasing the channels.
In a Radio Network Subsystem (RNS), all the radio resources are available at Node B. These resources are allocated and controlled by the RNC using the NBAP protocol. The NBAP layer at Node B and RNC uses the underlying transport to exchange signaling messages over the Iub interface. The NBAP user at Node B and RNC uses the services of the NBAP layer to control and manage the radio resources.
Trillium NBAP software is the implementation of the NBAP Protocol specification on both the RNC and Node B side as specified in 3GPP TS 25.433, UTRAN Iub Interface NBAP Signaling, for the Universal Mobile Telecommunication System (UMTS). Trillium NBAP software provides all the Release 99, Release 4, and Release 5 features, including ATM, and IP transport options.
The NBAP software provides the following basic capabilities at Node B and RNC:
- Transport of all NBAP messages, including private messages
- ASN.1 encoding and decoding of NBAP signaling messages signaling message validation, error handling, and reporting
- Establishing and managing the signaling transport bearers
- Protocol trace, debug, alarm and status reporting
Trillium NBAP software enables telecom equipment manufacturers of soft switches, signaling gateways, signal transfer points, service control points, media gateway controllers or other products to:
- Accelerate time to market
- Reduce development costs
- Reduce project risk of internally developed NBAP applications
Product deliverables consist of C source software, documentation, training, a warranty and technical support.
- Conforms to Trillium Advanced Portability Architecture (TAPA)
- Benefits of licensing Trillium software from Radisys
Trillium NBAP software conforms to the following standard:
- Trillium Advanced Portability Architecture (TAPA)
- 3GPP TS 25.433 specifications (Release 99, Release 4, and Release 5)