Radisys Introduces CellEngine 5G Radio Access Network (RAN) Technology
Radisys announces immediate availability of its CellEngine 5G RAN Version 1.0 software, addressing communications service providers’ requirement for IoT, Cloud-RAN and LTE-Advanced functionality
Hillsboro, OR, February 23, 2017 – Radisys® Corporation (NASDAQ: RSYS), the services acceleration company, today announced the availability of its CellEngine™ 5G RAN Version 1.0 software for communications service providers. By delivering a modular well-tested software, available as licensed source code, Radisys is enabling a time-to-market advantage for its global communications service provider customers. Initial customer deployments are leveraging the software for Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud-RAN and LTE-Advanced functionality.
Communications service providers around the world are pursing 5G network evolution as part of their overall strategy to deliver new revenue-generating 5G services to their subscribers. 5G networks will provide gigabits of speed per second with millisecond latency and power efficiency. For subscribers, this means that they would be able to stream a movie to their device up to 30-40 times faster than LTE with no glitches in the video stream or drain on the device battery. Radisys’ CellEngine 5G RAN Version 1.0 software provides communications service providers with a tiered roll-out of 5G features, enabling their 5G network architecture development and deployment. The software’s initial capabilities include delivering Carrier Aggregation (CA) and Licensed Assisted Access (LAA) for multiple carriers as well as LTE Category M1 (CAT M1) and Narrowband (NB) for IoT and will later add 28GHz millimeter wave technology for true 5G speeds.
“We are excited to announce the availability of our CellEngine 5G RAN software developed in close collaboration with a leading mobile operator, keeping us at the forefront of delivering industry-leading RAN solutions globally,” said Brian Bronson, president and CEO, Radisys. “We are in the business of enabling wireless network evolution, whether it be through the delivery of open source solutions or licensed software code. We made a significant R&D investment to make 5G functionality available to our customers today, and this first release reaffirms our commitment to enabling 5G network evolution and deployments.”
About Radisys’ CellEngine 5G RAN Version 1.0 Software
Radisys’ 5G RAN licensed source code includes Cloud-RAN, IoT and LTE-Advanced features as key stepping stones toward enabling 5G deployments.
- Complementary to Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), Cloud-RAN is based on open platform and base station virtualization, enabling processing aggregation and dynamic allocation of resources from a centralized processing unit
- LTE Category-M1: delivers an IoT optimized version of LTE technology that supports additional cost reduction measures, lower data rates and reduced transmit power
- NarrowBand IoT (NB-IOT): enables a wide range of devices and services to be connected using a Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) radio technology standard
- Carrier Aggregation: allows communications service providers to combine a number of separate LTE carriers, enabling them to increase their peak user data rates, to increase overall network capacity and to exploit fragmented spectrum allocations
- Enhanced ICIC (eICIC): serves as an interference manager as part of a Heterogeneous Network (HetNet) to reduce interference between the macro and pico layer of the network and thereby ensure faster data transmissions
- Licensed Assisted Access (LAA): enables the combination of LTE in unlicensed spectrum with LTE in the licensed band, thereby delivering a fatter pipe with faster data rates for a more responsive user experience
Radisys’ CellEngine 5G RAN Version 1.0 software is available now. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Meet Radisys’ 5G RAN Experts at Mobile World Congress
Radisys’ 5G RAN experts who led the software development will be available to meet at Mobile World Congress, February 27-March 2. Radisys will showcase its RAN solutions in Booth 5I61, Hall 5. To schedule a meeting, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Radisys helps communications and content providers, and their strategic partners, create new revenue streams and drive cost out of their services delivery infrastructure. Radisys’ hyperscale software-defined infrastructure, service aware traffic distribution platforms, real-time media processing engines and wireless access technologies enable its customers to maximize, virtualize and monetize their networks. For more information about Radisys, please visit www.radisys.com.
Radisys® is a registered trademark of Radisys. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.